Private work

Charges for Private Work

Please find below the charges set out by Woodbrook Medical Centre for private or non-NHS work.

This work is carried out at the GPs discretion – the GP has the right to decline any and all requests. Charges and time scales are non-negotiable. All work must be paid for either by cash or cheque.

Type of work This includes (but not exhaustive): Charge Timescale
Private GP Letter Housing letter/ Confirmation of registration/ Travel letter/ Letter to solicitor/ Letter to an educational provider £20

2 – 4 weeks

Urgent GP Letter As above £30

7 Days (at GP discretion)

GP Completion Of Insurance Form

Sickness forms

Travel Insurance Claims

Compensation Claims

Private Claims

£40 2-4 weeks
Vehicle Medicals

Taxi Medical

HGV Medical

Bus Driver Medical

Please note: We are only able to carry out medicals if you have been registered with us for more than 12 months

An alternative provider must be sought if you have been registered for less than 12 months


4-6 weeks

Employers/license providers will give you a 6 week warning prior to expiration.

Fostering & Adoption Medicals

Children's Services (local council)

Private Adoption and Fostering Services


(to be paid by provider)

4-6 weeks

SAR (Subject Access Requests)

A first request for medical records under an SAR are free of charge as per GDPR guidelines.

Any further SAR requests for the same medical records are deemed as excessive and are chargeable as per GDPR guidelines. The cost will be £1 per sheet of paper required.

Private work not carried out by the practice

Please find below a list of private work that is not carried out by the practice - these are non-negotiable and you must seek the assistance of an outside agency for completion. The documents provided to you will list who can complete them.

Mental Capacity Assessments

  • Lasting Power of Attorney
  • Certificate Provider Forms
  • Will/Codicil Forms
  • All mental capacity requests from solicitors, next of kin etc.

Proof of Identification

The practice does not countersign:

  • Passports
  • Citizenship Cards
  • Driving Licences
  • Proof of Life documents
  • Photographs for identification documents


The practice does not provide supporting letters/information for:

  • Housing applications
  • Financial applications - for example mortgages, loans etc.

Benefits Applications

The surgery does not supply supporting letters/information for patients making benefits applications. Patients need to submit their applications directly to the appropriate service - if these services then require medical information on an applicant, they always write to the surgery directly.

Find a support worker role near you today
Local Services, Let